Tips for "Dictionary Search"
NOTICE TO USERS
- About the Translations
All of the translations contained in the Japanese Law Translation Database System are unofficial. Only the original Japanese texts of the laws and regulations have legal effect, and the translations are to be used solely as reference materials to aid in the understanding of Japanese laws and regulations. The government of Japan is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of the legislative material provided in this website, or for any consequence resulting from use of the information in this website. For all purposes of interpreting and applying law to any legal issue or dispute, users should consult the original Japanese texts published in the Official Gazette.
- About the Tentative Translations
Any translation that the title of a law indicates to be a Tentative translation has not yet been proofread or corrected by a native English speaker or legal translation expert; this translation may be revised in the future.
- About Citation, Reproduction and Reprinting
About "Dictionary Search"
- The Dictionary Search function allows you to search the Standard Legal Terms Dictionary in the following ways. The results produced by the search can also be further refined.
* Search by keyword for headwords and translated terms in which that keyword appears
* Search by Japanese syllabic order for headwords or alphabetical order for translated terms
- In addition to legal terms (headwords) and their translations, the Standard Legal Terms Dictionary includes [in Japanese] the Japanese readings, the standards for different translations, and notes (derivatives, etc.).
- Clicking on a headword in the list of search results will display examples of its use in the text of the law.
- Following study by the Study Council for Promoting Translation of Japanese Laws and Regulations into Foreign Languages under the Cabinet's Liaison Conference of the Relevant Ministries and Agencies for Developing a Foundation for Promoting Translation of Japanese Laws and Regulations into Foreign Languages, version 1.0 of the Standard Legal Terms Dictionary was compiled by the working group which had been established under the Study Council.
- Following version 1.0, the Law Translation Expert Council (versions 2.0 through 4.1) and the Japanese Law Translation Council (starting from version 5.0) have taken over the responsibility for revising the Standard Legal Terms Dictionary from the Study Council for Promoting Translation of Japanese Laws and Regulations into Foreign Languages.
- When the relevant ministries and agencies translate laws and regulations into English, those translations are based on this dictionary.
- You can download an electronic version of the Standard Legal Terms Dictionary in various file formats from the download menu.
- The supported browsers are as follows:
* Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 or later
* Netscape 7.0 or later
* Safari 2.0 or later